Today was quite a long day for both Mom and I. It started at Dr. Levi's office up at 9:00 am. Dr. Levi was glad to see Mom's eye is getting better, but is concerned that it is coming back slower than she had hoped. Once she learned of my Mom's cancer, she wants to keep a close eye on her, and work with the oncologist to keep apprised of Mom's situation. There is a chance that Mom just heals more slowly than average, but in case there is something else going on, she wants to keep her options open.
Mom also had her PET scan today. We won't get the results until Monday when we go see the oncologist. But at least it is over. The PET scan, or Positron Emission Tomography, uses an injected radioactive isotope to identify any cancer cells in the body. So, for the next 24 hours or so, Mom is radioactive...Mom asked the technician what that meant, and asked if she would blow up if she lit a cigarette...I answered a loud and resounding "YES!" The lab tech laughed and told her she indeed, would not. Oh well, A for effort on my part.
We also got the results to Dad's MRI today. The tumors are still there, but are much smaller, and much of the swelling is gone. Dr. Uhl said that this is very good, and on the right track. When I asked about the small tumor on the left, he said it is really very small and he is not really concerned much about it. He said that the radiation is still continuing to do it's job, and the chemo will help to continue to fight the cancer. All in all, he said this is good news. Still waiting for the results to the thyroid test...Guess it will be Monday until I can call again...Or better yet, I plan on finding the Dr. on Monday when Mom and I go see her Dr. at the Cancer Center. One of the main reasons I had Mom choose a different oncologist than Dad is because Dr. Zu's office does not communicate very well, and on more than one occasion does not return any calls to me or to the nursing home. That drives me crazy. I don't think the things I am asking for are unreasonable...But even if they are, some sort of acknowledgement would be appreciated.
So, Mom and I have been invited to my friend Stephanie's family Thanksgiving celebration. It will be nice to celebrate being thankful for our blessings, which include our friends and family especially this year, with those who have been by our sides throughout this year and always. We are going to follow that up with a visit with my Aunt and Uncle and the family, and then down to see Dad. All in all, it is proving to be a downright enjoyable day.
If I haven't adequately expressed my gratitude to all of the phone calls, emails, visits, well wishes, thoughts, prayers, cards, flowers, plants, hugs, smiles, meals, offers of rides, housecleaning, food, and my personal favorite..."Anything," I cannot think of a better day to close my eyes and feel the wave of love and friendship we have been blessed with these last 6 months. I have said in the past, one of the things I pride myself on in life is being a good friend, and surrounding myself with good friends...Good, strong, loyal, caring, thoughtful friends, a trait I learned from my Dad. I am also lucky to have been blessed with family with all of these qualities as well. I have always known how special those close to me are, but I still marvel everyday at the seemingly unending support of all of those special people in our lives. From lifelong friends, family, my co-workers, my Dad's co-workers, our dentists and their amazing staff..I could go on and on...And on. In all that has happened this year, and is still yet to come, I am so thankful for your love and support, and presence in our world. Thank you so much for all you do, for me, for my Mom, and my Dad.
The Reed's are eternally grateful for each and every one of you.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, and may your Black Friday hold amazing deals, if you choose to partake...:)
Much love to all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment