I haven't really been blogging, because there is not too much new with Mom. And really, no news is good news as far as I am concerned.
We have escalated the smoking, however...She calls and leaves me messages all the time (sometimes 10 a day!), crying, wanting me to come right now to bring her cigarettes. I am so sad that I called it...She is just no longer capable of dealing with much, and the nicotine is now causing it to go to the extreme.
As much as it breaks my heart into about eleventy million pieces every time I hear one of her voicemails...Her pleads for a cigarette and a cigarette NOW, I just have to be strong and not give into her every whim. Since the cigarette smoking decision was made for me by someone who thought they were helping my Mom, I just have to live with it the best I can. Now, don't get me wrong, I know that Mom has lost everything, and really, what harm is a smoke now and then going to hurt...? Well, once she knew I had them, she kept calling me, and when she couldn't get a hold of me, she called my Aunt, who also felt bad for her and ran her down a pack of cigs. Now, Mom cannot smoke by herself. She does not posses the reaction time and the dexterity to be able to prevent herself from getting burned or hurt. So, my Aunt gave the pack to the nurses to hold. Even though my Aunt sat with her and let her smoke 2 cigarettes, the moment my Aunt left, my Mom began yelling and causing a ruckus, because she knew the cigarettes were on the premises, and she wanted to go out and smoke NOW. I got there about 90 minutes after my Aunt left, and the nurse was at the end of her rope. So, we are going to try and work out a smoking schedule for Mom, where some of the staff can take her out for a smoke a few times a day. Of course, this is causing issue for the staff, as there are other residents who like to smoke too, but wait for their visitors. What works for one, needs to work for all, so the staff has to decide if this is even feasible.
But, with all that going on, Mom is hanging in there. I will warn all you wonderful visitors, the second she sees you, she will be wanting to go out for a smoke. If this is something you can accommodate, then great, the cigarettes should be with her nurse. But if not, just tell Mom you can't take her outside to smoke.
Mom and I are going to try and go out to an early Mother's day breakfast on Saturday...Wish me luck!:)
Happy Mother's day to you all and have a wonderful weekend!:)
Much love!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment