When I don't see Dad, I have a hard time knowing what to write...:) I had a chance to see a friend from high school that I hadn't seen in at least 10 years. He and his darling wife live in London, and were in town for a visit. It was nice to chat with them, and to meet her. But that of course precluded me seeing Dad tonight, since it was after 8:00 by the time we left the restaurant.
I did talk to Mom, and she said that he was kinda cranky today. He was really upset thinking that he missed his radiation today, but his nurse Ivana told Mom that he went as scheduled. So, maybe the change in schedule was throwing him off. He has also had congestion in his chest and the sniffles, so we are hoping that he is not coming down with a cold. He had some pretty severe allergies earlier this year landed him in Urgent Care, and they gave him a week's worth of Prednizone in a low dosage, and put him on Zyrtec, and he has been doing pretty well ever since. Except for the past day or two. Hopefully, tomorrow will be a better day all around.
I was reminded again today about how lucky we are. And how lucky my Dad is to be in as good of shape as he is. One of the women I have known for years at work lost her husband around two years ago. I stopped and talked to her today because I remembered he too had suffered from a brain tumor. I asked her what kind, and although he passed away a month after his diagnosis when he threw a clot that went into his lungs, he also had a glioblastoma multiforme. Steve had also worked at SeaWorld for many years. He had gone to the hospital with stroke-like symptoms, and they gave him the tPA, and when it didn't react the way it should, that is when they knew something else was wrong.
Steve's tumor was on the left, in a very difficult area. The surgery left him paralyzed on one side. She was also telling me that he had severe motion sickness, and had a great deal of problems just going to and from radiation treatments in the back of the ambulance. She also said he had an extreme reaction to the chemo pills, and refused to eat or drink because the chemo so effected his sense of taste. Steve, who was a thin man to begin with, lost 50 pounds in 3 weeks.
My heart went out to her when she lost Steve, but now, going through everything, I know first hand the kind of pain and helplessness she went through. Of course none of this is easy, but so far my Dad has been so lucky. God bless you Bobbie.
I will be seeing Dad tomorrow after work. I also want to thank you, Greg for your donation, and thank you for your kind words. It really gives me a sense of pride when I know others see how amazing my Dad is and for you to go that extra step to help out with the walk, I am very grateful.
Every night when I leave Dad, I always tell him to get a good night's sleep, and to have sweet dreams...So, sweet dreams Dad!
Love (and sweet dreams) to all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment