Saturday, August 30, 2008

Azteca! Sis Boom Blah...






I saw Dad earlier today, and he was doing pretty well. When I got there, our family friend Dennis was there. As soon as I stepped in, Dad said "oh good, I want to tell you about this show I watched this morning...it was about the A-bomb." He really enjoyed this show, whatever it was. Dad said that he and Dennis had been sharing "war stories..." He mentioned Suzanne Pleshette, who I think Dad met once, and I asked him if he had mentioned his Fraternity's sweetheart from San Diego State...He said, "Oh, I haven't talked about her yet..." He was having a little trouble with he name, so I said "Tejada...?" And he said, "oh yes, she was gorgeous...Raquel Tejada..." And I said "and who did she marry?" And he said "Bud Welch..." So, he says "yes, Raquel Welch..."

Dad also talked about how bored he is. So, Dennis and I were brainstorming what he could do to help pass the time. He is so unsure of himself, that when we mentioned things, he kept saying "I need to start as slow and simple as possible..." And, "Don't get too complicated on me..." I still think one of those little handheld poker machines might be a great start. I am going to stop at Target tomorrow on the way to see him and see if I can find something like that.

Tonight was the first Aztec Football game of the season, and although the crowd was larger than usual, but still pretty meager, and the football was mediocre as it has been for the past few years, it was really different without my Dad. This will be the first season he has missed in 50 years. I am going to do my best to try and figure out a way to get him there for at least one game, but we will just have to see.

Jay, and Jim and I went, found a place to park, which was so strange, because it was not where we always parked, drank some beer, ate some chips, and went up to our seats. Instead of looking at the empty seat where my Dad sits, Jay brought one of my Dad's Aztec shirts and hats. He brought a piece of cardboard, and they sat in my Dad's seat the whole game. He was there in spirit!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well!

Love to all!

No comments: