Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I am not sure if it is really crankiness or what, but today was another day of frustration and anxiety today. It just seems that he is very easy to agitate, and when something sets him off, it is hard to get him to forget about it.

By the time I got there today, Mom was just giving up on trying to get him to eat his dinner...Sloppy Joes. He just wanted no part of it. So, luckily, there was an apple fritter my Mom had brought him for tomorrow, and he ate that right up.

He kept going on about how my Mom kept "poking him in the face" and how mad he was about it. I looked at my Mom in confusion, and she said that she used a damp towel to try and wipe his eyes...He told me I didn't understand how awful it was that people kept "poking him in the face..." My Mom kept looking at me helpless, because no matter what she did, he was still mad at her. I can do a pretty good job at calming him down, because I talk to him in a very rational way and call on his sense of reason, which usually works eventually. Not tonight. He was just determined to be in a bad mood, but then apologetic for it...I left to have a late dinner with friends, and Mom said that he really didn't get much better after I left. I think he is just more tired now with his radiation in the morning. One of the side effects was supposed to be late afternoon/evening tiredness. He never really had much of that, but with his radiation happening at 3:00, that tiredness probably started sometime in the evening, when he was sleeping. Maybe now with the radiation at 10:00, it is starting to hit him earlier. Either way, it is really emotionally draining on everyone. It is amazing how much different the world looks when things are positive than when they are negative...We just have to try and be strong, and encourage Dad to stay focused on the positive.

His chest congestion was not any better today. My Mom talked to his primary doctor, who said that with everything going on, and where he is, he just can't write a prescription for the Pred. He is going to put a call into the house Dr. at Magnolia to talk to him about the trouble Dad had before. I guess it only happens in the afternoon. My Mom said that they checked him out at radiation today, and everything sounded fine...I guess that is a good thing, but he says that he coughs a lot at night, which may be preventing him from getting a good night's sleep, which in turn may be a part of his aggravation.

He did get some PT today. They are doing it from his bed though, so I am not sure exactly what they are doing. I am taking some time off next week, and I plan to be around at least one day to observe. It is just hard to be in 2+ places at once. We are all doing our best though. But it is exhausting!

Love to all!

No comments: