Friday, August 29, 2008

Gotta love long weekends...

I am so glad it is Friday. It was a long week, and I am looking forward to some rest and relaxation this weekend...Well, at least some time off anyway.

I was at my Friday night dinner with friends tonight, so I didn't see Dad. I was there for a little while last night, but he got tired, so I left around 7:15. He is so funny...He knows how to play my Mom like a fiddle, and I just don't cave in the same way she does. When he wants something, and she says no or indicates he shouldn't have it right that moment, he pulls out some pathetic reason why she should, and she just folds like a cot. Now don't get me wrong, we are not keeping him from food or water or anything, but after he brushes his teeth at night, he really doesn't need candy in his mouth before he goes to sleep...I tell ya, if he gets a cavity or any other sort of dental problem, we are going to be in big trouble!

But he will say things like "if you really loved me you would give me a piece of candy..." My Mom falls prey to it every time...I always call him on it, and he just laughs...He knows exactly what he is doing.

So, the nurses called my Mom last night because he does not have any chemo pills left. He has not been prescribed any more at this time. I called Dr. Zu's office just to double check that this was correct. Turns out, Dr. Zu will evaluate him at our appointment on September 9th, and probably write a new prescription then for that 5 day a month, higher dosage regimen. For now, he doesn't have to take it.

So tomorrow is the first San Diego State Aztec game of the year. Both my Dad and I are SDSU alumni, and my Dad has had season tickets to Aztec football for 50 years. This will be the first season he has missed. He ordered his tickets in April, so Jay, Jim and I will be going. It won't be the same without Dad. Jim and I were talking today, and we are just not sure what we are going to do. As long as I can remember, we have tailgated at the top of section G...The very top, in the disabled parking section. Everyone knew where to find us, and we always had a place...But now, without Dad, we can't park at the top of the section, and the sections below where we used to be are press...We are not sure where to go. And Jim and I were talking about how we were going to get there...My Dad always picked us all up and took us...It took Jim and I a few minutes to try and figure out the best way to get us all to the game. It certainly is going to be different without Dad, but we plan to enjoy ourselves enough for him too.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend, and makes the best of our beautiful city. Spend time with those you love, doing the things you love to do, and enjoy every minute of it.

Much love!

Aimee

No comments: