Monday, July 28, 2008

"...because my mind went out for a taco..."

Trying to work with the insurance companies. Still trying to figure out what is covered and what is not. At the end of the day today, I think I am of the understanding that the stay in the nursing home has no coverage through Secure Horizons. When we got denied for the "rehab" status, that ended any coverage, as there is apparently no "long term care" coverage with Secure Horizons.

The other confusing thing is the transportation to and from radiation. I have to do some more calling around tomorrow to try and determine whether or not this is covered..I think it should be, and so does (one of the operators at ) Secure Horizons, the radiation oncologist...However, someone at the nursing home told my Mom it is not covered...Everything gets so confusing, and boy do the insurance companies give you the run around...Sheesh...It is exhausting.

Dad was frustrated tonight because he didn't get any sort of PT today. We are hoping something starts tomorrow or Wednesday. However, Dad got really emotional after I got off the phone with Secure Horizons (I was told by one operator that I needed him to be there and then when I called with him there, I was told that in fact, I did not). He looked at me and started crying and said "I could not be more proud of how you have handled all of this. You are learning so much, and I am so sorry I can't help you more, but I can't (he motions toward his head)...because my mind went out for a taco..." I started laughing and said "is that where it went? Tell it to come back!!!"

Then, I ran to Home Depot (thanks for the tip, Jack!) and picked up 6 pair of earplugs with a cord attaching them (well, each pair) together. Now, hopefully, they will be harder to lose...Actually, it just means when he loses one, he loses both! But, I thought he would be more excited about them, but I don't think he really got the concept...Hopefully, he will see the benefit.

The other new thing my Dad loves, is the "Sleep" feature on his TV. He really didn't watch TV in Arbor, but I think the TV was too high and too small for him to really see anything worthwhile...And of course, DirectTV did not get channel 4 for the Padres. This place has Cox, and the TV is 19" and he can see it pretty well. But, he gets a little concerned with remembering to turn it off. So, now, when I leave at night, I turn on the "Sleep" function for a few hours, and he doesn't have to worry about the TV, and he can just doze off and the TV turns off all by itself. The little things in life are so important....It is good to remember that once in a while.

Much love!

No comments: