Sorry for the hiccup the yesterday, and the short post on Wednesday. This week has been exhausting for me, both physically and emotionally. Really high highs,and really low lows for me personally...So, Dad is doing fine, I just hit the emotional wall...So, sorry for the gap.
I finally was able to go down and see Dad in his new place tonight. Like I said, it is called Magnolia Special Care Center, and it is down in El Cajon. It has been around for 40 years, and is larger than Arbor Hills. It is a little dated as far as decor, but they are in the process of renovating the entire facility. My Mom pointed out a renovated room, and they have nice light colored accents, dark hardwood floors, and little flat panel TVs. She also showed me the renovated shower room, which is really nice.
My favorite part is that there is a dog that lives there. His name is Clyde, and he looks to be some sort of beagle or hound dog mix. I have attached a pic of Dorth and Clyde.
Anyway, my Dad is currently in a 3 bed room, but as the remodeling continues, he will eventually be in a 2 bed room, but the rooms are much larger than Arbor Hills.
I really liked the nurses and CNA's at Arbor Hills, but the management always gave us a hard time, up to (and especially) in the end. But they always took good care of my Dad, kept him clean and were pretty patient with him, and they were kind to my Mom and I. This was one of the reasons I tried to fight to keep him there...That and it was quite convenient.
Needless to say, I was unhappy to have to move him, and was glad that my Aunt was able to do the research, and my Mom and Aunt were able to check it out. When they were down there, the management were very kind and compassionate with my Mom and really made her feel at home, special and comforted. They spent a great deal of time with her, listening to her, answering all of her questions, and talking about Dad. The only thing I am more happy about is the nursing staff. I had just got done helping my Dad with his dinner, and one of the administrators needed me to sign some papers acknowledging the side effects of some of my Dad's meds, and I told her I didn't know the staff yet, but I knew my Dad would want to get in bed soon. She turned to him and asked him if he was ready for bed. He (of course) said "on your schedule." And she said, "no, it will be on your schedule Mr. Reed." Wow. And this is only the second night.
Dad is doing well, and seems to be taking to his new surroundings well. My Mom asked how he slept last night, and they told her that he slept the whole night through. I think the radiation and chemo are starting to make him tired, but really only at night.
So, I am hopeful that this all continues and Dad is content. I do think a few days for him to get settled will do him good. If you are interested in a visit, and need directions, just send me an email.
Also, my parents and I were talking tonight about the Brain Cancer Walk in September, and my Dad is donating $100 for my Mom to walk too...I think she is going to have to walk along with us! She'll love it! And we hope to have a big team, so please consider joining us on September 13th.
So the funny for the night, was when my Dad was finished with dinner, and my Mom and I were talking to him. I said that I had told the nurse that he wanted to get in bed, and so my Mom turned to my Dad and said "so, you want to be laid out Scotch?" His eyes got round as saucers, and said "as opposed to laid up?" So, I said "I would think you would rather just get laid..." Both my parents paused and looked at me incredulously and then we all just started laughing.
Have a great weekend!
Love to all!
No comments:
Post a Comment