Saturday, July 26, 2008

"Why'd you turn down the sound?"

I went to see Dad this morning. He and I chatted for about an hour and he was in pretty good spirits. He was wanting to talk about things that stimulate his mind, so we talked about retirement accounts and what the latest buzz is about my company being sold to Inbev. When we started talking about some of the money figures "2 billion dollars...50 billion dollars..." He would just look at me and ask "do you know how much money that is???" It was a fun conversation. Dad likes to talk about things that he feels stimulate his mind.

He was in a good mood, but was a little restless when it came to what he was supposed to do today. Being new to Magnolia, we are still trying to get everything lined up as far as his workouts, and bath schedule and all that jazz, and we need to wait until Monday to do some of the follow up things. Everyone is so nice there so far, and I hope it continues. Knowing they are kind and taking good care of him really takes a weight off of our minds.

So, I guess tonight's funny happened this evening with my Mom. Ever since the jackhammering at Arbor Hills, my Dad has been passionate about earplugs...The are like his "blankie..." Except "blankies" are pretty large...Earplugs? Not so much...So, he pretty much loses them as soon as he gets them. I am going to look for the kind that are attached by a small cord that I have seen before, and maybe those won't be so hard to misplace...Anyway, the pair he had last night disappeared, and he started to pitch a fit about needing some. Here they are to block out the noise of the halls and the other guests. So, he started complaining to my Mom about all the "chatter," and "background noise," and "can she believe how loud it is..." Mom looked at him and said "Uh Scotch, you are the only one in the room...The only one chattering is you." He said "Me? I am making all that noise?" She said "yes," and he just rolled his eyes. Then, demanded ear plugs once again. Well, luckily, my Mom had some in her purse left from Arbor Hills, and she took them out. He said "put them in....Now!" My Mom said, "you won't be able to hear me or the Padre game on TV..." He said "I don't care! Put them in NOW!" So, as you can imagine how hard it is to put earplugs in someone else's ears, my Mom wasn't sure if she got them in right. About a minute later, my Dad said "Why'd you turn down the sound on the TV?" And Mom said "I didn't, you have the earplugs in..." And he would say "well, take 'em out!" So, she would, and then he would want them back in...I guess this went on back and forth for about 10 minutes, and finally, Mom called him on it and they just started laughing...Oh the conversations we have now...:) How something so simple can be so trying...You just have to laugh.

Hope everyone's weekend is great!

Love to all!

Aimee

No comments: