Sunday, July 27, 2008

"Ok...Now where is my roll?"

I got to Dad later today because I had to try and spend some time organizing my house...I have just been letting things stack up with everything that is going on...I still have a long way to go, but I did make a dent. I also had to say goodbye to my friend Erika...She is heading back to Florida tomorrow. I am so happy things are going well for her there, and it was great to see her.

So, I got down to Magnolia, said "hi" to Clyde, and went down to Dad's room (which is 37), and Mom and Dad were watching baseball. My Aunt and Uncle had been down there most of the day, and he was tired, but in a good mood. I can tell when my Mom has been there either a little too long, or just been a little too pushy...My Dad tends to get a little frustrated with her, which can be pretty funny. My Mom stepped out to smoke, and my Dad looked at me and said "She really is a character isn't she?" So, I say "she sure is." He paused for a moment, and said "yep, she is a wonderful person, but she really is a nut case..." I laughed out loud...I could tell she had been a little smothering today...:) She is just so precise about how everything needs to be done...I have always said it must be hard to be perfect...And Dorth may be the only one who knows for sure.:)

Well, dinner comes, and it is this broccoli/cheddar cheese/turkey thing (which looked pretty good), mashed potatoes, mixed veggies, a biscuit, watermelon, a slice of pineapple, and lime jello. Well, Dad has been gaining some weight, which is common with some of his medication (which usually is a good thing with chemo and radiation), and he is concerned. He says that he doesn't want to over eat, and in the next breath is asking for candy or chips. Mom started to feed him his dinner, and he said he absolutely did not want the mashed potatoes or the biscuit, and he doesn't like mushy veggies...So, Mom convinced him that he liked the broccoli casserole, and the fruit, and he loved the jello. Well, since he was so adamant about not wanting the potatoes or biscuit, I decided to sample them. I had about half of the potatoes, and I ate half of the biscuit, in case he changed his mind. Mom finished feeding him the lime jello, and he sighed and proclaimed "he was stuffed!" So, I ate the other half of the biscuit (it was really good). I had just put the last bite in my mouth, and he says "now, didn't I have a roll somewhere over here?" I almost choked on it. Oh well, sorry Dad...Leave it to me to steal food from a man in a nursing home.

Team Scotch on the Rocks is off to a good start thanks to some generous donations from my friends the Mosleys. (You guys did not have to be so generous, but I thank you from the bottom of my heart that you were...I love you!). Once again, if anyone is interested in signing up to walk, it is $25 to register, and they hope each person strives to raise $250 in donations (I am practically there!), and it is a 5K (3.1 miles) and it is at Hospitality Point in Mission Bay on September 13th, and it is over by Noon. Here is the link again about the walk http://www.braintumor.org/AngelAdventure/san_diego/

And, my donations page is http://www.firstgiving.com/scotchontherocks where you can donate online...Every little bit counts!

Dad is pretty well settled, and would love to see some folks when you have time. If you need directions, just let me know. Also, just keep in mind that he goes to radiation every weekday afternoon from about 2:15 to 4:00.

Hope everyone has a great week and love to all!

No comments: