Saturday, July 5, 2008

I spent most of the day with Dad. He had several visitors, my friends Steve and Steph, his friend Glenn, and our family friend Bob. At one point, we were all sitting in a circle around him out front on the patio, and he was talking to all of us about the Grand Plan...We looked like we were playing "Duck, Duck, Goose," and he was in the "mush-pot" in the middle.

I did get there early enough to see some of the PT. I am not sure he is truly walking as he says he is, but I think his perception of "walking" is a little off. They did have him stand up a couple times, which took him pulling up and 3 PT workers to accomplish, and once he was up, they had to hold him there because they don't quite understand his brace. But, they put him in this device that had a type of a sling that goes around his butt, and his knees line up in these padded sections, and it attaches to a lift that pulls him into a standing position. He can then lean on a board, and they had him doing his arm curls in a standing position, in front of a full length mirror. He is just so chatty. He kept stopping to say things to me, and I kept telling him he can talk to me, but he needs to continue to exercise. I stepped out near the end when he was back in his wheelchair using the pull down bar. The PT worker asked him to do 25 pull downs, and he kept getting distracted by me. He wanted him to keep track of the 25, because that helps him to process the sequence, which helps him to help work out his mind.

I am looking forward to the "slider board transfers" he keeps talking about, but they didn't do them today. Hopefully I will see that soon.

I tease him a lot. Mostly about the emotions he has a hard time controlling. Awhile back, I told him he is like a woman having PMS...He laughed. But lately, he has had these cravings. Like, he has been wanting something crunchy, like potato chips, and today, he told me he wanted El Pollo Loco...He has never had El Pollo Loco in his life, and he says he probably is falling for some sort of subliminal advertising, but that "marinated chicken made by that suave guy" sounds pretty good. I told him his PMS is getting worse...Now there are cravings!

So, we are gearing up for the oncology consultation on Tuesday. Dad keeps asking "what's next?" I tell him, and now he knows the answer, but I just think he likes to hear me say it again, so that he knows what to expect, for me to reassure him. It should be interesting.

I have met both the medical oncologist and the radiation oncologist, and they seem very good. I found out last week that my good friend, who has fought cancer twice, had Dr. Uhl as her radiation oncologist. She had nothing but great things to say about Dr. Uhl and the Cancer Center at Grossmont. So that makes me feel even better about our next steps, and about those who are guiding us through them.

I hope everyone's weekend is great! Enjoy this amazing San Diego weather, and spend time with your loved ones having fun!

Love to all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mood swings? Cravings? He doesn't have PMS, he's PREGNANT!