Sunday, July 20, 2008

"This coffee is wretched..."

Today begins the start of a crazy week ahead. I have work, dinner out almost every night, I take Tucker to the vet on Wednesday for a consultation, and I have to go and see my Dad at some point too. Today, I was helping out my friend by volunteering to help at the event she was working. So, knowing I would be out too late to see Dad this evening, I went to see him this morning. I decided to take him a cup of decaf from Starbucks, because he always says how weak the coffee is at Arbor Hills.

So, I let him have a sip...He made the most awful face...Screwed it up with his eyes closed until he swallowed and then opened his eyes and said "you know this isn't very good." So I said, "you're welcome Dad" and laughed. He smiled and said "I guess someone must think it is good..." Then, as he took another big sip "yah, it just tastes wretched." So, I said "well, stop drinking it then." He looked at me with another mouthful and swallowed and started laughing. Then I told him that maybe the medication might be effecting his sense of taste...He thought that might be a possibility.

Then he went on to tell me that he has been so confused. He starts obsessing about the Dr.'s, and the transports to radiation, and when are things scheduled to happen, and what if something gets messed up. I am not sure why he is getting so confused. I mean, I understand, after all, he has been through a great deal, but I have to admit, it seems that since the radiation and chemo have started, he seems to be a little more confused. I am hoping that he is just getting used to being transported over to the hospital for radiation every day (this next week may help, he will be going all 5 days, instead of 2 days on and then 2 days off). But, I guess it could be any number of things, including medication side effects. We will just have to wait and see how things go.

So, in addition to everything I have going, this week will hold lots of calls to insurance companies, and the ongoing search for a long term care bed, hopefully somewhere close. As much as this latest bout with Arbor Hills has been frustrating, and the jackhammering, and poor Terry being so loud, it is really a pretty good place. The staff is pleasant, if not wonderful, and they do take good care of my Dad. I think we are probably not like most people who are in there. There are only a few residents who have family or visitors come every single day. I kind of feel like some of them are even surprised to see us day after day. But I also think they have a respect for us and how much we try and do for my Dad. Although, a few of them have warned my Mom that she needs to start doing less for my Dad (after all, that is what we pay them for) and more for herself, or she just might end up in there as well.

When we do go somewhere else, I hope their staff is as nice and the quality of care is just as good...Who knows, maybe it will be even better...We can only hope.:)

Team Scotch on the Rocks is growing! My Mom is even thinking of walking...But she doesn't want to make a decision just yet...;)

Have a wonderful week!

Much love.

No comments: