So, we started out early this morning with Dr. Uhl, the radiation oncologist. He came in and spoke to all of us; Dad, my Mom, my Aunt and me.
He told us much of what he told us before, but it is good to hear again. Radiation will be every day, at the same time of day, five days a week, for six weeks. There is potential for side effects, being tired, some nausea, vomiting, a sort of sun burn after he has had several treatments....But they can help to treat all of these things. Being tired will probably be the biggest issue. Nausea and vomiting would possibly be from swelling in the brain from the treatments, but because the way the do radiation now is so specific, and with the medication he is on, this should not be much of an issue. They can also give him topical things for the sun burn.
He said they used to radiate the entire brain in situations like these. But they have learned to radiate only the cancer cells (mostly). One of the ways they do this, is they did a CT scan with a dye today, and that gets entered into a computer system that helps to map the program. Because they are so targeted with the radiation, you need to remain completely still for the 5 or so minutes of the treatment. Since it is virtually impossible to remain perfectly still for 5 minutes, they use a sort of mask to keep you still. They took the mold for the mask today on my Dad. They put some sort of net over his face, and somehow developed a mold of his head and shoulders. They will use this to line him up and then bolt him to the table for treatment. Now, my Dad is not claustrophobic, and neither am I, but I can only imagine how horrible this would be for someone who is...Yikes! But my Dad came out saying that it was a "piece of cake," and then he said "wow, I guess I am going to be like Phantom of the Opera!"
We also saw Dr. Zu today, and he is the medical oncologist, who will be handling the chemo. I may have mentioned that Dad's chemo will be in the form of a pill he will take each night. They are going to put him on Temodor, which has been used for the past several years to treat this kind of tumor. Here is a fairly recent article about a woman who it helped http://medicalcenter.osu.edu/mediaroom/press/article.cfm?ID=3858
However, Dr. Uhl did share what I have known all along. That this is a nasty tumor. He told us that most people die from it. My Dad got very upset, but quickly stiffened his upper lip, pulled it together and told the Dr. that he is a fighter, and he is strong and getting stronger every day. Dr. Uhl responded by saying that if he didn't think my Dad was a fighter, and didn't think there was a chance at fighting this, he would have put him on a short run of radiation and told him goodbye. But that is not the case. Dr. Uhl says he is putting him on a full run of radiation and going at this head on with all he has got.
I am thankful that there is reason to fight, but I am also thankful for any and all time I have left with my Dad, so, I think the best course of action is to be hopeful and confident in the Dr.s and their treatments, but to take every day for the blessing that it is and do whatever I can to help my family be as happy, healthy, comfortable and peaceful as possible...Kind of a tall order, but just like my Dad, I am up for the challenge.
So, it looks like radiation will start Monday, but we don't know what time his appointments will be yet. Dad is still looking forward to getting going with his treatments. He is a little bummed that he is going to be tired and laying around a lot, but we told him that his body needs the rest and to heal.
Visitors will be important to keeping his morale up during his treatments. We don't know how the side effects will be yet, but keep up with the blog and I will let you know. But, this week and weekend will be good times for him to see folks to help stoke his resolve and keep his spirits up. So, if you have a chance to stop by and see him, even if only for a few minutes, I am sure he would welcome the company.
Thank you and much love to all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment