So, another new visitor, another rendition of the "Grand Plan." I love to hear it every time the words leave his mouth.
My friend Allison came by to see my Dad tonight. And then she and I left and went to get a bite to eat. She has been reading my blog, and is aware of the "Grand Plan." I hope I am not ruining it for anyone who goes to see him. I hope that everyone, like me is inspired to hear his enthusiasm and determination.
But, as in each telling, the plan shifts a little. Well, not the plan itself, but the telling of it. In this version, he not only talked about his "quality of life," and his goal to "become strong for my family," he also spoke of not taking life for granted. His words talked about how sometimes we all get to busy in life, that we miss the opportunities to spend time with our loved ones, and put things like work and all of the other abstract business in life ahead of what is important. You know, the things we always say and think, but rarely follow through with?
Allison and I discussed this later in the evening, and, like her, I felt he was speaking directly to me about my life and what I put first, well, what I used to put first. The best part, was that she said, "he didn't make me feel guilty for focusing so much on those things, but he inspired me to want to shift my focus." I never really thought about it that way, but she is right. His words are honest, positive, rational, and really hit home...In a warm supportive way.
My favorite part of tonight was when Allison shared that her sister-in-law and brother-in-law went back to the Blood Bank to give platelets. This is something they had done to honor her mother who battled Ovarian Cancer for many years, and lost her battle last fall. They had been away from donating platelets for awhile, but returned because of my Dad. The staff recognized them and commented that they had decided to come back after hearing my blog post about donating blood. And the staff there remembered my Dad (well, it really has only been like 5 weeks since he had been there last), but now they knew why he hadn't been by. My Dad was so touched that he had helped to inspire others to give blood. Thank you Melanie and Anibal! My Dad cried happy tears in your honor. So, happy to still be able to help people, even though he can't do it himself.
Moments like these are priceless, as you know M&A (&A)...Thank you for being responsible for one more to keep in my heart forever.
I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and a great Independence Day. The Fourth was my Grandpa's (my Dad's father) birthday...So, happy birthday Grandpa!
Much love.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment