Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunday...A day of rest...

So, I have been stumbling around in the dark in my kitchen for the past 2 weeks. My light bulb burned out, and I haven't had a chance to replace it until today. I spent the morning at home, watched Pan's Labyrinth (great movie), made light in the kitchen again, and straightened up a bit. Then I went to see Dad this afternoon.

The same as last Sunday, he was tired today, and really didn't want to do much. Sundays, there is no PT, and I think that really is what gets him going and motivated in the morning. But, he was saying today that he needed a day to rest. He even took a nap in the afternoon, which he usually doesn't do.

He also got a new roommate today. He had a crazy guy the first few days...He kept yelling out at me whenever I walked in, and he kept getting out of bed and running around in his underwear. And, my Dad says he moved around in the squeaky bed all night long. Luckily, he was only there a day or two with my Dad. We have had Howard for the past few weeks. What a sweet man. Quiet, thoughtful and pleasant. He was simply a joy to have around. He and my Dad had a really sweet relationship, and talked about all sorts of things. Howard was in to get stronger after a short episode in the hospital, so he got to go home. His new roommate was quiet while we were there today...Let's hope that lasts through the night.:)

As Tuesday gets closer, my Dad gets more inquisitive about the Dr.'s appointment. He is a little confused about what is going to happen, (as am I, we really won't know until Tuesday), so he keeps trying to figure it all out. He is not sure if he is going to have to stay someplace overnight, or if he needs more surgery, or what the radiation is like. So, he keeps asking. And every time I give him what little I know for sure, he says that he can't wait for it all to start. Because it is the next step, and he needs it to get better. He says he doesn't care if it makes him sick, or if it makes him tired, he is going to do his best to fight and be as strong as possible.

We had some family visit today. My Aunt, my Uncle's brother Gordon, and my cousin and her son. I think he enjoyed seeing everyone, most for the first time in a while. But he got tired pretty quickly as well. When he gets overwhelmed, he tends to dismiss people, and then he feels guilty for doing so. I told him that everyone knows he is going through a lot, and whenever he needs to say goodbye, to do so.

Mom and I left by 7:00 this evening. He had eaten his dinner (spaghetti with meat sauce), and dismissed us both. He said that he wanted to listen to his radio, and go to sleep pretty soon. So, we took the opportunity to get some time to focus on ourselves, which is nice to do without feeling guilty for not being with Dad. But when the man dismisses you, I guess you go.:)

Mom is going to observe PT tomorrow, and they are supposed to do the "slide(r) board transfers," which I am very curious about. So, I hope all goes well. I am going to make some phone calls to insurance companies to see what we can do to get closer to getting Dad home.

And Tuesday morning is the big day!

Love to all.

No comments: